Being a member of the NTCA – The Rural Broadband Association means HTC also supports the Foundation For Rural Service (FRS). In particular, we are a conduit for the FRS’ Youth Programs. FRS provides scholarships, a Youth Tour, and a number of other programs to help invest in the next generation of leaders and citizens.
Since 1995, FRS has hosted the Youth Tour to thousands of high school students from across rural America. The Youth Tour is a chance for students to visit our nation’s capital and learn about rural broadband, share their community’s story with key legislative, regulatory and government figures as well as a forum for them to meet and interact with their peers from other rural communities.
This year, HTC is assisting in taking applications for the FRS Youth Tour. The 2022 tour will be held June 1 through 5, and will give students a unique look at the telecommunications industry and the legislative process by visiting Congress, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and other governmental agencies.
To be considered for the 2022 FRS Youth Tour, candidates must:
- Have a parent or guardian that is an HTC Member
- Be a high school junior under the age of 18 at time of trip
- Have at least a C grade point average (GPA) or better
- Demonstrate leadership in organizations and interest in community through volunteer activities
- Write a letter explaining why he or she would like to attend and stating his or her future plans beyond high school
- Obtain a letter of recommendation from a teacher or school official
High school juniors interested in being nominated for the Youth Tour should speak with their school’s guidance counselor about the opportunity. Guidance counselors will submit their suggested nominees to HTC no later than Wednesday, January 5, 2022.
HTC will carefully review each application and announce our two selections by the end of March.
To learn more about the tour, watch the video below or visit the FRS website. If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Sarah Moody, HTC Marketing Coordinator, at 843-369-8422 or email@example.com.