HTC encourages local students to apply for a Foundation for Rural Service (FRS) college scholarship. For HTC members who have high school seniors planning to attend a two- or four-year college, university or vocational-technical school, the FRS scholarship can help cover the cost of your child’s next chapter.
Each scholarship is valued at $2,000 and is offered students in areas served by National Telecommunications Cooperative Association (NTCA) members. As the telecommunications service provider for Horry and Georgetown counties, HTC will contribute an additional $500 to the scholarship if a student from our area is selected to receive the award, bringing the total scholarship to $2,500.
Eligible students must:
- Have a parent that is an HTC Member
- Be a graduating high school senior.
- Be a United States citizen.
- Be sponsored by a current NTCA–The Rural Broadband Association member, in this case, HTC.
- Be accepted by an accredited two- or four-year college, university or vocational-technical school.
- Have at least a C grade point average (GPA).
- Express an interest to return to a rural community following graduation.
Applying for the award is an easy, online process completed on the FRS website. The deadline to apply for the scholarship is March 5, 2020. When applying, the student should select HTC in Conway, SC from the Employer section. The address listed will be P.O. Box 1820, Conway, SC 29528-1820.
The FRS is a non-profit organization focused on supporting rural telecom companies, consumers, and policymakers. With a vision to enhance the rural communications industry, the FRS offers scholarship preference to students expressing an interest to return to a rural area to work following graduation.
Other scholarships are also available from the FRS, including the FRS Staurulakis Family Scholarships, TMS Scholarships, Roger Alan Cox Memorial Scholarships, James L. Bass Legal Scholarship or Everett Kneece Scholarship.